"Look What I did With an Old Blue Dresser"
I Tried to Convince many of my friends that I would make something out of it for them But when I showed it to them They just didn't see what I saw, All they saw was this Junky old BLUE pile of junk with the paint peeling off it....AHHH! But I saw the beauty behind that blue peeling paint and I decided to finally do something about it.
So this is what I did...........................
"HERE ARE THE BEFORE PICS"
The drawers were already out of the dresser only because I used them in another project.. They were kinda falling apart anyway....plus I had already started sanding the top when I took this picture :)
I Sanded the top down to the bare wood... This took several sanding disks since there was quite a few layers of paint on the dresser...Since I didn't want to have 3 Shelves I removed all the rungs on the front that the shelves ran on and added a rung in the front and back half way . Once the rungs were attached I thought it needed something along the top that was decorative so I penciled out a design on a piece of wood and cut it out with my jigsaw. once I had the look that I wanted I filled all the holes with wood putty and let dry and then sanded down the rest. I didn't worry about getting all the paint off these parts since I was going to prime and paint it anyway.. I just made sure it was smooth and level..
Before I painted the frame I cut several slats 3/4" thick from a few 2x6 pieces of scrap wood I had lying around and cut them all the same length for the shelves...Once I had acquired the right amount I needed to fit the area I removed them, stained them with Early American Stain from Minwax and set them aside to dry....I then went back and painted the inside and outside of the dresser with a Satin Black paint leaving the top untouched... once it was dry I distressed the edges to reveal some of the bare wood.... The top I then stained with the Early American Stain to match the shelves... Once dry I gave the top 3 coats of Satin Clear coat and 2 coats to the shelf slats... when the clear coat was finally dry I then attached with my nail gun the slats to the front and back rungs to make my shelves.
So Then once the Cabinet was made I thought It needed some bins to just set it off and also allow some storage... So I took a neat looking Drawer I had left from another dresser and Cut it in half to make 2 Bins... I had to replace the sides, cut and tweak it a little, But I just love the look of the front of this drawer.
I then Sanded, Painted and Distressed the front of the drawers and then
I added some cool Stainless Steal Handles to the front....
And Here it is the finished product....I think It would be perfect as a TV Stand for someone But I guess you could use it for almost anything..:)
I'm Sure that if my friends I offered this too before saw it now they would have changed their minds :)